Should I Hire A Lawyer For A Minor Car Accident?
If you found yourself involved in a fender bender recently, you are probably wondering if it’s worth hiring a lawyer. You may think the accident was no big deal and not worth the headaches of dealing with the situation. But there’s also the possibility that the accident could lead to a legal battle. When this happens, you definitely need a lawyer on your side.
In this article, we will talk about some of the instances where you should hire a lawyer. We will also mention some of the scenarios where you can get by without the assistance of a lawyer. Either way, we will cover the various situations that most often occur so that you know what to do if you find yourself in one of these predicaments.
Time To Hire A Lawyer
There are some situations when it’s blatantly obvious that you need to hire a lawyer. And yes, in some cases, it could even be a minor car accident where you will need some legal assistance. Believe it or not, minor car accidents can cause thousands of dollars worth of damage that you don’t want to be on the hook for if it wasn’t your fault (even if your insurance covers it).
With that said, here are some situations where you should definitely bring in a lawyer:
- A serious injury occurred. We have seen some major injuries occur during minor accidents.
- There is a question about fault. Proving fault is one of the biggest components to a car accident. It this is a question mark, you will need a lawyer to lay out your side of the story.
- You are going to court. If you are involved in a case that somehow goes to court, you definitely need a lawyer to get you through the complicated legal process.
- You don’t have the time to handle your claim. Even minor car accidents take some time and effort to file and follow-up with. If you don’t want to be bothered with this process, it’s probably best to hire a lawyer.
Situations Where You Don’t Need A Lawyer
Not every car accident requires a lawyer. There are some fender benders that are truly simple and civil in nature. It may be as easy as exchanging information and allowing the insurance companies to handle things.
Here are some situations where you probably don’t need a lawyer:
- The fault is obvious and proven at the scene of the accident. When this happens, there’s no mystery as to who will pay. Keep in mind, Oregon is a “fault” state. That means the person who was at fault for the accident is responsible for any resulting harm that was caused.
- Damage is very minimal. When there is very little damage and the financial numbers are mutually agreed upon, it’s a very simple situation that can get easily settled through an insurance company without the interjection of a lawyer.
Every Car Accident Is Different
There is no cookie-cutter answer to let you know if you should or should not hire a lawyer for your car accident. As we mentioned above, there are many different components that make up a car accident. So even though it may be a minor car accident, it’s possible that something occurred (like a major injury or a question about fault) that will require the knowledge and expertise of a lawyer.
If you were the victim of a car accident here in the state of Oregon, contact us today for a free case evaluation. You can also reach us directly at: 1-800-285-8678. Our team of highly skilled personal injury attorneys has over 100 years of combined experience. We will work hard to ensure that you come away with the compensation that you deserve!